PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Whoops - Dutch F-16 pilot strafes range control tower
Old 11th Nov 2013, 17:59
Rossian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was a while ago....

....as Range Control Officer at the Rashid range in Dubai (where all the expensive hotels are now) I watched the fall of a 25lb practice bomb fro a Shack at 15000ft (Medium level bombing) as it fell I thought "That's nowhere near the target" and looked under the binos and guessed that the likely impact point would be the other quadrant hut (where all the measurements were taken from). The Master Siggie over there had also reached the same conclusion and hurdled the wall to land on the LRVehicle bonnet and drove away like a scalded cat. He got about 50 yards away and the bomb landed on the far side of the building.

Not surprisingly he was sptting nails, and expressed the wish not to go back to work while this crew were dropping.

This was the same afternoon that a Hunter mate tried to impress us by flying round the back of the range control hut at roof height. He did do it but failed to notice the HF aerial in the way and took a foot or two of his port wingtip off. Wobbling on his way back to Sharjah he had to jump out.

OOOOer missus! Excreta+fan - GO!

The Ancient Mariner
(I'm sometimes surprised that I survived to BE ancient)