PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Remembrance Protocol
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2013, 12:36
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes it was very touching thing that. Jogged my memory and without blabbing who I be I went to Goose Green for the memorial service once (or maybe it was on "letting out day" I think, me memories shot). Right by the memorial where the Harrier pilots are remembered (everyone is remembered but you know where I mean). Bit like in the video above -the little girls and boys were all in their best clothes and their families had made little bunches of handmade flowers to lay (real 'uns being hard to grow or get) must have taken ages to make. Loads were there, civvies like. Some of them had trailed across from Stanley. It was a cold raw day. Those decent people just shot up in my estimation, that day. Some of those blokes I saw there, I recognised because I think our mob had had a set to with some of them in the bar over the usual, but that hadn't stopped them coming over. Far from it.
Very touching day that, the way it was conducted and the thought that had gone into it - always meant to tell the CO's of the remaining GR7 squadrons about that day (as part of the ethos of the FAA) ( I was the only WAFU there by a mile and ex 8** and CVS) about it but I failed, comms failed on our old ship, the moment went and time moved on again.

Last edited by Hangarshuffle; 11th Nov 2013 at 12:53.