PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Final report of near-miss (Bern) June 2011
Old 10th Nov 2013, 21:07
Squawk7777

Location: formally Alamo battleground, now the crocodile with palm trees!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why more incidents reported in Europe ?: probably because of better Just culture and openess. In USA there are less reports , but does not mean less problems.

For info in another " near Ueberlingen " event reported over France near Evreux in Oct 2004 , it was the US crew of a Delta 767 that did follow the " expedite clearance " from the controller in opposition to the TCAS RA received , and both aircraft ended up also a few hunded feet from one another.

This incident was reported by French ATC ( although the initial error was theirs) but not by the Delta crew.
Interestingly today you find this incident in the Eurocontrol TCAS database, but not in the FAA one. That might explains why the US has less TCAS related incidents.
Hello Watcher! Nice to see a familiar poster after a longer absence from pprune.

In the US it is common to file a NASA report and an ASAP (if you are employed with an airline aka 121 carrier) after an incident. ASAP stands for Aviation Safety Action Program, and is based on self-reporting and is usually supervised/managed by a panel of three: One member from the FAA, one from the company, and one from the pilot's union. It is somewhat similar to the UK's ASR program(me) if my memory serves me right.

The NASA report is actually called Aviation Safety Reporting System, also a self-reporting non-punitive program that also encompasses ATC, maintenance, general aviation etc. incidents.

While most ASAPs are not made public, ASRS has a database search available. Right now, I can't remember if incidents in foreign airspace/countries are included.