PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well done to UK senior officers!
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 18:55
Danny

aka Capt PPRuNe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jacko, the Israelis learned very early on that it' one thing to win the military battles and another one to win the PR battle. There is no way the coallition is going to win the PR battle in this war, especially with the liberal, lefty, hand wringing media we have at the moment, of which you are fine example.

It appears to me that you would have us warn the enemy that "this is going to hurt me more than it hurts you" and apologise profusely before we go in and try to kill them. . As Solotk mentioned, you can't run this war with all the pussy footing around just because the media luvvies are embedded with you. If you are pinned down under fire you should be calling all your available firepower to bear on the problem, If there are civilian casualties as a result then it is very tragic but a fact of war.

Witterting on about the "USMC’s over-the-top and arguably distasteful display at the deaths of their enemies" just proves to me that the coallition has absolutely no chance of ever winning the PR battle when reporters interpret it as bad taste. What on earth did you expect? "Oh my oh my, I am so sorry, boo hoo! Pass me another missile."

Solotk, you are right about the 'pussyfooting' that appears to be going on in units with embedded reporters. How the decision makers can justify adding to the risks their troops have to take just because it wouldn't look good for the Nintendo audience back home for those under fire to call in 'overwhelming' firepower to get out of the mire.