PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL Manuals
Thread: ATPL Manuals
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 18:38
aidanl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Folks,

I too like Spils am musing over the ATPL vs CPL alternative. My ambitions lie down the flight instructing route - fATPL is probably overkill - too long in the tooth to head to jets and I like to get home everynight!

Already PPL + Night + IMC, so CPL + FI would be sufficient to get the ball rolling without parting with humongous amounts of cash. I would love to do the IR 'some day', if only for the personal pleasure of being able to get home from European trips but can't really justify the extra outlay.

My first choice is still the full ATPL exams.

Reasons are:

1) I may not need the IR components but every bit of info helps. (I really shouldn't have ambitions to teach others )
2) I'm happy to push myself down the full route. Doing the ATPL now keeps the options for IR open if my circumstances change over the next 4-5 years. I don't mind the extra commitment and the difference in costs are minimal.
3) Small point but it keeps the choice of ground schools open.

Spils - don't forget that the 3 years starts ticking when you pass your final exam - if you're only starting to think about it, that could be a long time away.

Bottom line - anyone thinking about this - think as far ahead as possible