PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2013, 11:20
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
vilas,
Thanks for the following information (my emphasis):
"The change to AOA protection mode disengagement was done through MOI in 2005. With this software change AOA protection is no longer active when alpha is less than alpha prot and side stick has not been deflected since the last autopilot disconnection."

Must say that the part that I've underlined is news, and doesn't concur with the 2011 FCOM extract posted here by DonH, or the BEA Report into the AF A340 Incident of 2011.

Have you quoted the MOI in 2005 verbatim? If so, in an identical repeat of the A340 AIRPROX of 2001, it would have prevented the engagement of AoA mode (referred to by the AAIB as AoA protection Law). Taken literally, that would represent a radical inhibition of engagement, not an additional means of disengagement.

If, on the other hand, "is no longer active" actually means "will disengage", it would be an additional means (condition, or criterion) for disengagement. But it would not apply if either sidestick had been moved during a period of hand flying. That would seem odd, but perhaps I'm overlooking something.

Last edited by Chris Scott; 10th Nov 2013 at 11:30. Reason: Last paragraph added.