PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 10th Nov 2013, 02:18
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DB & SAS

I suspect that the big difference between the military and civil sims is that the military focus on the task whereas we focus on the licensing process. Compliance overtakes competence as the priority and we have what we have today.

By the way, I called for original equipment to be fitted because I have had some experience of the 'ersatz' cockpit the 'cloners' produce. I wish it wash't so but they just don't work. Why? Because in the end the software is not the same so will always -trust me - always be second rate, unreliable and inaccurate.

EG. (This is all 139 stuff) You want to load a 'destination' as a LatLong = INVALID ENTRY
You want to demonstrate electrical failures = synoptic page shows all the wrong stuff plus the generator loads are set so high that you cannot carry out a PA check (even with the BT 'on' they are over 20% on both genies).

Example - and this is a classic - operating OEI with the cross feed closed - fuel consumption took the level below the connecting cross tube so expected the relevant tank to hang up at 228kg. No, it went on going down at the same rate as the one feeding the one remaining engine. Negative training features yet again.

Maybe you can ask the original software/hardware designer to produce 'certified' boxes for the real thing but supply non-certified copies to the sim makers.

As one previous contributor noted the key appears to be marrying a sim maker 'who cares' to a sim operator 'who cares'. I'm not holding my breath.

The only way forward is via the regulators and unfortunately the balance of power currently is not with them.

G.