PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Initial flying lessons
View Single Post
Old 16th Dec 2001, 07:50
icemaiden
Chilled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
from memory, the next few lessons consist of practicing manouvers - keeping the ac straight and level, then turning, take off and landing and building up your confidence and skills at handling. Then you practice circuits (take off and follow a circular route overhead the airfield, then land. again and again and again...)and stalling (-if your lucky spinning).

Normally you start to "follow through" - put your hands on the controls and feel what the instructor is doing on approach and landing early on and, depending on how your lessons progress you will start landing on your own in a few hours.

Before you can take your solo flight you will cover forced landings and engine failures including after take off - normally this is done later when your handling is more confident and anyway, when your dual the instructors should be well positioned to take control.

Navigation is the next stage of training so you only really cover the basics before your solo, but its a good idea to show some initiative and have a good look at the map and keep an idea in your head of where you are. My initial flying was with the military who generally teach navigation from day one, but at a flying school I was told just to concentrate on the flying (says a lot about my flying!!)

Good luck, hope you enjoy it, Im sure a lot of people will have some useful information for you.....