PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Albanese does nothing on Sydney Airports
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2013, 21:05
Sarcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Oh we're...drifting..drifting..away!"

Kharon:
Could this possibly be renamed, from the Sale of the Century to the battle of the century. If Fawcett and his masters (who's edicts he must bear in mind), property developers and airport owners are to be persuaded that the development of aviation must take precedence over town houses, green houses, carpet factories and McDonalds outlets on airports; they will need a lot more encouragement from aviation than they are presently getting. Even then, the chances of success are slim against so many other, more profitable vested interests.
Hmm..but the GWEP is only previous Government Policy, it is not written in law, and now that policy, which used to have its own dedicated webpage, would appear to have been put out the back door, see here…
Aviation White Paper released by the previous government in 2009 [PDF: 3796 KB] ….
…besides a lifetime membership to the 3DGALosers clubwhere does that leave all the DIPs (Directly interested parties), besides at the mercy of yet another dept instigated clusterf*#k??
Well I would have thought that it would come back to the laws governing such things as airport development and also the terms of each individual airport lease. So for us uninitiated knuckle draggers what laws are there??
While trolling through the (yawn) dept website I came across the FOI disclosure log and in there I noticed there are several references to this dept instigated, feel good advisory group (that has little to no power as its advice can be vetoed by the Minister) called the NASAG, which is constantly referred to in Senate Estimate hearings (link: Dept FOI DL check entries for 09/05/13).
In those docs there is one reference which keeps cropping up called the Principles for a national land use planning regime near airports, military airfields and flight paths.
This document was drafted after the GWEP was released:
The following Principles for a national land use planning regime near airports and flight paths (the Principles) are designed to give effect to the initiatives in the Australian Government’s December 2009 Aviation White Paper for developing a national framework to safeguard both communities and airports from inappropriate off-airport developments.
Again, much like the NASAG, this doc has no head of power (i.e. it is just another feel good dept guidance reference). However it does list the laws around airport development and the associated protected airspace at paragraph 3:
At the Commonwealth level, airspace protection provisions exist in the following legislation:
(a) the Airports (Protection of Airspace) Regulations 1962 establish a system for the protection of airspace around the leased federal airports in the interests of the safety, efficiency and regularity of existing or future air transport operations into and out of airports;
(b) the Defence (Area Control) Regulations 1989 protect airspace around the identified Defence airfields; and
(c) Part 139 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1983 requires airport operators to monitor the airport and land in their vicinity for structures and activities that may infringe protected airspace.
Hmm..starting to get into this…more to follow Sarcs (K2)!

ps Wonder who FOI'ed the NASAG docs??

pps for 4dogs benefit: Civil Aviation (Buildings Control) Regulations 1988. Wonder how many FF NCN/RCAs have been issued under these regs...?? My guess is not many!

Addendum - Ben's rant on former PM KRUDD:Failed ex PM Rudd switches tack to destroy Brisbane Airport

Last edited by Sarcs; 10th Nov 2013 at 02:03. Reason: week of addendums