PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2013, 19:53
Delta Fox Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAVOIA - I do recall Steve Borrowdale Jr. telling me that the Gazelle was replaced around 1985 by an AS350B G-BMAV and was maintained by McAlpine out of Hayes.

Inspection of G-INFO supports this, as G-BMAV and G-BBHU were owned consecutively by Solaria Investments, which I believe was one of Leonard Matchan's organisations.

When Leonard died the aircraft I think G-BMAV was sold via RCR and Heli Trans to PLM Dollar Group Ltd in Inverness then Ireland

Coincidentally, G-BMAV's previous owner after selling G-BMAV to Leonard bought an AS355F1 G-OMAV and that became G-NEXT which I flew for a while upon leaving Bristow.

If someone can post a picture of G-BMAV then I think we may have the whole picture.

Be careful, it may not end there.

Mark Harrisson and I had heard that an Auster had operated on Brecqhou and before full development of the gardens and grounds, Mark and I used to pace out where we think this could have occurred. With a stall speed of 28mph it would not be difficult. I can vouch for the wind on Brecqhou.

How do I know it was 28mph stall ? Well Mark and I used to fly the Bristow Auster G-APOA together, when we were working in the hangars waiting to start helicopter flying - so we really are closet plank pilots.

Although Mark is rather fond of AutoGyros now.

What a small world this business is !

Last edited by Delta Fox Driver; 9th Nov 2013 at 20:59.