PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2013, 18:15
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Memory (off-topic)

Quote from Conf_iture, re the A320 Habsheim accident of 1988:
"Sorry Chris but I just can't understand your thinking here as part of the procedure to present the Airbus at high AoA is specifically to inhibit A/THR to prevent Alpha Floor to spoil the demonstration.
How can you suggest the guy was waiting for Alpha-Floor to kick in when his initial intention was to prevent it to interfere in the first place ?"

Salut Confit,

My off-topic reference to Habsheim was merely to illustrate that speed greater than M0.53 is not the only inhibition criterion for Alpha-Floor.
What you say suggests the game plan was even more cavalier than I remembered, and my memory of the tortuous, much-criticised investigation has faded.

That accident was 25 years ago, in our first summer of A320 ops. We fellow A320 pilots were naturally riveted by the excellent camcorder footage of the a/c descending gently into the treetops as the engines spooled up. Much speculation followed, but it was clear to us that the a/c had stabilised safely at Alpha-MAX, but lacked enough thrust to maintain its height.

I assumed the plan had been to stabilize at about Alpha-Prot, maintain height at that speed by increase of manual thrust while passing in front of the crowd, and then go-around. It never occurred to me at the time that the crew would have been reckless enough to attempt to stabilise at Alpha-MAX, as you seem to believe, disabling Alpha-Floor to enable that. I presumed that Alpha-Floor was being retained as a back-up, but that its inhibition below a certain height had been overlooked.