PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2013, 17:05
Savoia

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Geoffersincornwall
As was my duty I snuck up on the blind side of the WW10 and carefully placed a Fly NAVY sticker on the roundel. Unfortunately I was filmed by the BBC who included it in their evening news - I've been running ever since.

Baston: Thanks for the clarification on Westland's ingenious snow-and-water-scoop-cum-air-intake!

Originally Posted by bast0n
A slightly clearer shot from the Cobham Hall at the FAA museum with my twin grandsons - at least one of whom wishes to be a pilot and at 14 both are flying.
Quite right too! As the Colonel used to tell me .. "I don't care whatever else you want to do with you life .. but you will start out by being a helicopter pilot." After which he would look at me in anticipation of some sort of challenge to this "law" of 'flying first' and which of course I never offered!

Managed to get this Queen's Flight Whirlwind image from a fellow collector today, taken a couple of years after Mountbatten's visit to the Royal Hospital School (I imagine you and Geoffer's probably both went to RHS in any case ) and by which time it seems the flight may have up-graded to a Mk 8 (if indeed this is the significance of the HHC8 designation?).

Queen's Flight Westland Whirlwind HCC.8 XN127 in 1963, no location given (Photo: Marcus Carruthers Collection)