PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CHIRP 108 - too much rubbish on ATIS
View Single Post
Old 9th Nov 2013, 13:11
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy basically everything which is already NOTAM'd. needs skipped.

Some ATIS have

1. grass cutting in progress
2. fire service training in progress

etc.

And also part of a TAF attached as well.

The only info on WIP should be if any exits are blocked for the live runway.
The rest of it can be worked out on the ground. By the time we have flown the approach after getting the wx it will be forgotten about anyway. If a runway exit is blocked I put a note on our performance card and brief for the exit we are going to use.

To be honest most won't even listen to the extra stuff once they have the wx copied anyway as soon as they get the QNH it gets turned off.

As for frequency's being open we don't need to know. If ground is open that's where tower is going to send us. If Delivery is open that's where we go first anyway 99% of the time its bandboxed to who ever is doing it anyway. If its not you give two calls then try ground and if still no reply go to tower so no great shakes.

The one thing which some do put in but most don't which is handy is "controller under training" I know it shouldn't make a difference but it means most crews will give them a bit of rope and not get pissy if something strange gets said.

Most of the ATIS extra info is just pure bum covering and adds nothing to the safety of the flight.

Quite what we are meant to do differently when "grass cutting in progress" I don't know. And commercial crews /IR pilots which haven't seen a load of black smoke coming up next to a rusty heap with blues and twos around it shouldn't be flying.