PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do the current generation of Senior FAA Officers lack something?
Old 9th Nov 2013, 10:38
MaroonMan4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Squirrel,

Very good indeed-made I chuckle!

In all serious though, without getting into debate on Carriers, Harriers, and any other subject opined ad finitum on this forum then from my shop floor experience I reckon that the senior bods in the FAA have done a pretty good job in ensuring that they are relevant and capable for the future given the tremendous pressures from politicians and MoD.

The FAA is so small it could easily have been deemed by those that wanted to save a quick short time buck or make political gain to absorb (disband) the FAA into a pseudo purple organisation (probably run by us the very top - i.e. a 3 star above the HQ Army budgeted JHC rotational 2 star). And guess what, it wouldn't have been long before the AAC would have gone the same way if the FAA had been disbanded or nibbled away at (Joint Force Merlin, Joint Force ISTAR etc etc.....certainly not safety or capability driven I would suggest).

Whether the Army like it or not, 'their' 10 years land locked enduring conflict scenario has increasingly less appetite from public and fickle politician alike, and contingent, flexible, 'just enough, just in time' is more than likely the way forward.

If that is the flexible capability that the nation wants, then it will cost more than having a BAOR/RAFG standing force, or modern equivalent.

Sadly the whole experience of the Commando Helicopter Force transition from the old lift limited Sea Queen to Merlin highlighted just how devious and machevellian our air ships and blimps could be, rather than honestly at least informing our guys at the sharp end of what was going on. It appeared that the RN was expending a significant amount of wasted energy unnecessarily fighting our hierarchy, in what had already been both a political and high level executive military decision, rather than the RN just getting on with it, fully supported, communicated and importantly strongly led by our senior officers.

Apparently that week at Benson when the first course of RN aircrew had the station and families in shock and took a bit of time for it all to sink in and every as they seemed extremely well briefed with backed up fact from their hierarchy.

Yes, I do think that the FAA has some strong capable leaders (isnt the First Sea Lord ex FAA aircrew - maybe a nav/WSOp?). I respect what the RN hierarchy are trying to do when already the Army are allegedly now sniping at Carriers and beginning their spin campaign, when actually we as a nation should be looking strategically and not going for a short term land grab, fearful of single Service budget cuts just around the corner in SDSR 15.

As to not going to Squadron/leaving social functions - hmmm, I am extremely surprised that any RN officer doesn't use an invite as an excuse to imbibe and tell (very dull) salty sea dits, followed by either getting naked or into female dresses, trying to chat up the oldest/ugliest woman at the venue or singing very old songs that don't make sense today!

But they do make me laugh as a quirky bunch, but don't leave me on a boat with them too long!

Maybe their absence from social functions is endemic of all of the redundancies and transformation that are now taking their toll, and just like our senior officers they are working extremely (long gone are the days of blunts mahogany bomber staff officers shuffling nugatory papers until its time to go home I believe....but I admit I still see the odd random waste of paper that just creates extra effort for all).

As we are all experiencing despite the number of personnel being reduced and leaving, there have not been the promised cheaper RAFA/FTRS back fill, and yet it is no surprise that the staff workload has not reduced at all......classic case of implementing something before assessing that the future/contingency plan is in place to take up the slack.

Which is why I stayed where I did and shortly it will be be all history for me