PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do the current generation of Senior FAA Officers lack something?
Old 9th Nov 2013, 10:05
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In my reply to pheasent-Sorry mate, not my worms eye view at all. The ethos is failing at a SO level. In fact, its going to be a disaster in future ifsome of them continue as they are (declining in man management and signs of empathy...I could bore on, not going to).
My observation is that many have become aloof and distant and very happy to be so. I was unfortunate to serve under several of the previous COs of RNAS XXXX in the last X years and I had the chance to sit and be amongst one or two of them as it were, and I was not impressed at all. One of these was at a so called top table. Not going to go deeply into that on here.
I got the impression of someone hiding behind their rank and using the gold as a little shield. Hard at that event not to get the impression of someone with self obsession and a very superficial interest in "lower people'-perhaps thats how one gets to the top?

29 years ago at Culdrose we had a Captain who actually wait for it-dined occasionally with the troops. Would pitch up,in the JR DH, wait in the queue, have a meal. All unannounced of course and on his own.
Testing the system. Seeing how his supply system was working. Showing himself. Watching and listening.Engaging occasionally but I got the impression he was all senses on the go, and wanted to know what the lads were doing, thinking, behaving, judging morale, looking at dress code, listening to language.
Real on the ball bloke.

Oh for that now.I'm not anti RN SO, very far from it - just Ive begun to despair of some of the antics I hear about (and witnessed)in recent years.

Last edited by Hangarshuffle; 9th Nov 2013 at 10:31.