PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 8th Nov 2013, 22:19
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAS and II

SAS

Of course you are right, a motionless FTD is indeed a very good IF training device. The motion system is just the icing on the cake. I could probably teach 90% of the VFR stuff on a motionless FTD and get value out of it for the visual systems these days are first class and getting better al the time.

II

It's the very principle that I am concerned about. Is it right that a pilot can have a rating on the new generation helicopters without having seen how the aircraft behaves when system failures occur? Such is the clever design of these machines that it is impossible to demonstrate - safely - electrical failures, hydraulic failures, fuel system malfunctions, engine failures that truly replicate the real thing and autorotations.

If you were to add up the number of exceedances that occur doing real aircraft training then I am sure the number would frighten your socks off. Where are the incident reports I hear you say? Very good question. Don't expect transparency when accidents and incidents are concerned. Personal and national pride and commercial interests come first.

G.