PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bristow Photos
Thread: Bristow Photos
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 18:04
Dave Ed

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Malaysia

Malaysia - Kerteh

Posted some of these pics before without the info so this will add context.
I spent over six years at Kerteh, the first period was a three month " transitional" leave relief as the operation was relocated from Terengannu.
I actually arrived back in UK a year and a half later!!

Second period was married accompanied with Jan and it was during this posting our son was born in Kuantan

Kerteh could be really busy and one morning, for a brief time while a 412 was on a flight test, we had 14 aircraft airborne out of 14.

Around 1980 a new airport was built in the state of Terengganu which would mainly serve the off-shore installations, one hours flying time from the East coast.
In 1981 Bristows/Malaysian Helicopter Services re-located their main operations from Terengganu airport to Kerteh. It is unclear when the aircraft changed from Bristow to M.H.S. ownership but as can be seen from the pictures all the aircraft were in M.H.S. colours except for 9M-SSK which was soon to return to U.K.

The fleet was growing all the time and soon outgrew its new home, so a new hangar was added in front of the fuel tanks in the picture plus new hard-standings to accommodate the six new S76Cs. It became pretty busy with 8 X S76, 6 X S61 and a couple of Bell 412s.

The brown hut is the engineers' crew room and also contained the line-office.

Some names for the pics below. Forgive my spelling and the ones I've forgotten and I won't even attempt the wives!

Chas Ducat, John Church, Gordon Dumphie, Craig ***, Adrian ***, Clive Golding, Ian Macgregor, Sean Parker,Dave Thompson, Phil Turner...

A n Cs scrubbed up well!

Anchor being a Malaysian beer! Jan took the pic Graig and Dawn on the oars. There is an engine but too shallow to use it. Monitor lizards on the banks of the river up to 2 metres long!

Not seen very often on Prune...........wives. Apparently a few of the guys had them. Had to be patient and understanding bunch and willing to travel.