PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 16:25
vilas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris
Somewhere you have said "So my question remains: why does it not revert to Normal Law once the AoA falls to a safe value?" I take it you mean normal AOA (Vls)
Let me attempt to answer that. Basically the high angle of attack protection is provided to prevent stall while dealing with wind shear or terrain issues where you are likely to deliberatally invoke the protection. When the angle of attack has fallen to a safe value (I presume it as less than alpha Max) any attempt to increase speed beyond Valpha prot by lowering the pitch is left to the pilot as conscious decision. If it was automatically done without assessing the situation it would have been unsafe.
You will remember that when you change from NAV to HDG, CLB changes OPCLB but in descent it does not change to OPDES but to present VS. The reason is same. In CLB or OPCLB the thrust is in THR CLB but in DES it need not be in thrust idle and in such a case change to THR IDL as it would in OPDES will pitch the aircraft down increasing ROD. So this is left to the pilot as a conscious decision.

Last edited by vilas; 8th Nov 2013 at 16:48.