PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean 787 fire at Heathrow
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 16:07
newvisitor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recent composites conference, talk by Learjet/BBD about the Learjet85 development and certification - synopsis at Bombardier sheds light on Learjet 85 composites manufacturing : CompositesWorld

quote of relevance "Harter related that after processes were optimized, Bombardier faced the daunting task of achieving FAA certification. Much like the Boeing 787 and the Airbus A350 XWB, intensive use of composites on the Learjet 85 meant Bombardier had to perform extensive testing to satisfy the FAA’s special conditions for certification. Much of this, Harter said, focused on in-flight flammability, post-crash flammability, crashworthiness, durability, toxicity in burn, damage tolerance and thermal expansion at interactions with metals. Results, across the board, were positive. In fact, noted Harter, composite materials on the Learjet 85 outperformed aluminum in flammability and crashworthiness tests — a fact that he believes needs to be emphasized more by the aerospace composites professionals. Composite readiness testing is now complete and certification testing has begun."

Even if you discount for spin, interesting statement.

Also, with apologies for long delay in posting the following comment, I was at a major conference in the summer, where I had a chance to speak to two key (composites flammability) academic experts quoted by Amicus earlier in the thread. I posed them the question "two airplanes side by side, one aluminum, one composite, both on fire, which one would you rather be in?" One answered they would rather be in the composite airplane, the other said it made little difference.

Last edited by newvisitor; 8th Nov 2013 at 16:29.