PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Do the current generation of Senior FAA Officers lack something?
Old 8th Nov 2013, 14:06
Hangarshuffle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do the current generation of Senior FAA Officers lack something?

I was thinking how to start this thread, and thought of that question and wonder now is it relevant or correct?
Recently a colleague (and I admit comrade and friend) left the FAA after something like 36, 37 odd years service ( I cant exactly recall the number shame on me in a way, but its a long time). He left as a Warrant Officer, and had (I think) a pretty fantastic service record. He was the holder of the South Atlantic medal (among many others), which he modestly wore when required, but rarely mentioned it, even though he was at the sharper end of things then (for our branch).
I will cut to the quick. A very humble leaving do was organised. He had already been formally dined out with another great bloke, last year in the mess at Culdrose. But funnily as circumstance arises he had then been asked to stay on a bit and see things through for a while (which he did).
So a do, down in one of the pubs in Helston. Its humble, it's an all ranks + all rates quiet chance to say thank-you and goodbye. its an open door for anyone with a link or connection - its not a rave, its not formal. In a decent British pub for a beer and a pastie.

Well you know what's coming. I have learnt not a single officer attended. Not one.

Now this chap would be embarrassed or even I risk anger from him for even to dare to mention this on the internet, because he is a decent honest man who would not wish it, but I'm just me, and Im going to, anyway.

I state that an officer should attend such an event. In these circumstances, somebody should have attended from the wardroom at Culdrose.
You can work down, or you can work up. The Commodore or Captain, Commander Air, the CO of the unit, or the 1st Lt. The unit Exec.

Alternately go up. Any of the above, bone someone off to show their face.

But for Gods sake, in these times, at these sort of events, show a face.

The FAA is in crisis. It is fast disappearing. Its CVF project is in crisis (again). It is under tremendous pressure, its lost men women and material at an alarming rate. It could go under. On your watch.

You, as senior officers need to reconnect with the men who are doing their long and short duties. The humble men and women.
I say,you are lacking something. I have watched you all from up close and now from afar and you are lacking.Be it class, be it ethos, be it empathy, be it leadership, be it confidence, but you are lacking something and you need to raise your game, at Culdrose, and probably elsewhere,quickly.

And finally if you have to ask why an officer should have attended such an event, well you should not be in the job at all.
Goodnight all, and good luck Tam.