PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 09:56
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What would have been the consequences for the PF if he had gone around earlier?
Obviously he would have avoided the crash but what would have happened to his training record, comand, promotion, etc? I have not flown in Korea but know some that have and acording to them the consequences of messing up (an approach during training for example) can be pretty harsh.

Because they didn't go around and instead came damn near to killing >200 people I suspect his command chances have melted away and following consequences will be an a trillion times more severe than if they had. And what of the judgement of the trainer? Is he still a trainer? This a CREW screw up.

Personally, the people to take the lead on this are the manufacturers and insurance companies (a rather un-holy alliance). ICAO are unlikely to mandate how an aircraft is to be flown but unless we improve our skill levels as an industry, we'll be parking a few more aircraft in usual places.

I thought this was the role of a professional and sincere training department: and if they don't do it then the XAA's should be monitoring this and taking the lead. Where do the FAA & EASA stand on this issue? They are very silent. If this crash was found to be of a technical/design nature then whole worldwide fleet would be grounded until he problem was solved. It is a worldwide problem, many cultures and a/c types, and is in the human factors/training category. I don't see/hear the relevant authorities putting energy in finding the antidote. I wonder if they even acknowledge there is a problem. May be I'm wrong: let's hear it.