PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should we buy British?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2013, 08:55
Party Animal

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by peter we
The UK can only choose a UK company is there is no tendering process, if it goes to tender it will be to the lowest bidder.
That won't be in the UK.

Not the full story though Peter. I speak as someone close to the Nimrod MRA4. I'm not sure how the politics really works at the highest level but I suspect that foreign competition bids are revealed to British companies before the decision is made, giving the British company the opportunity to undercut the competition.

That way, our politicians can stand up and gloat that the contract has gone to 'BAE Systems' because they are not only the best but also the cheapest etc... We then stand back and watch the game begin.

In the case of the MRA4, the original cost of £2bn for 21 aircraft on the front-line in 6 years was seen by many as absolute bullsh1t. Knowing former Nimrod guys working for foreign competition, they all knew it was totally unachievable and to be honest, my granny could have scrutinised the bid and laughed at the offer.

Then reality kicked in. Within 2 years, it was demonstratably obvious that it was never going to happen. In the end, it became £4bn for 9 aircraft after 15 years and the rest is history. Or is it? the 2 carriers have exactly the same scenario - now coming in at twice the price and twice the time from the original 2007 plan.

So the bottom line here is that it's the game the UK plays. I just wonder why politicians seem outraged at delays and cost overruns when it's no surprise at all. If 4 companies bid for a major project and 3 of them (from overseas) all come in with similar figures and timescales, does no-one look closely at the BAES bid which is half of the above and say Mmmm?

Anyway, it's Friday. No point in getting wound up!