PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 10:55
Dog One

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately Mr Hat, the culture still exists, as demonstrated by the similar accident at Groote.

It comes back to the culture set by the CP and the company. It is to easy for those at the top to say they were unaware of what was happening at the out bases.

Slice reports on an incident with a regional in NT, and it would appear when made aware of the incident, took positive action, as such a incident was not part of their culture.

I can recall the regional in Tasmania where the CP actively encouraged low flying, and from all reports, was the ring leader in flying 4 engine piston aircraft along beaches at 50'.

Numerous other episodes from around Aust spring to mind, and I would say that there are a few senior Captains out there who are saying "but for the grace of God go I".

The other sad thing is that when these accidents happen, the first thing we read about is how good the pilot was, what a beaut person they were, what a good pilot etc etc. The Coroners report or ATSB report usually indicates a gross error.

CASA need to become more than a paper tiger, and get out into the industry push the Safety case from a practical point of view. Operators who are not supervising their pilot's activities should be forced to pay the penalty with automatic suspension of their AOC.