PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pension - Forced Redundancy Days Before Entitlement
Old 7th Nov 2013, 23:19
Chainkicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pension Abatement

SilsoeSid, if you have read the very small print on the Annual Pay Review report you will see it says the salary has been abated by x% to account for the fact that we receive a pension. Whilst is could be considered true that, strictly speaking, a military pension could be defined as having no contributions from an individual, the fact the our pay is abated because we receive a pension, indicates that in fact we do "contribute" a proportion of our salary.

Twas always thus and has moved up and down in %age over the years, certainly spending time in double figures.

Possibly a good job it was abated to provide a pension, as those in their late teens/early 20's probably wouldnt consider putting aside 10% of their pay for their retirement. I dare say mine would have gone on cars, women and wine and if there was any left after after that, I would probably have wasted it...

Oh and I agree about the petition. Plenty of people always ready to jump on the outrage bus