PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Nov 2013, 22:48
SASless

Received 515 Likes on 215 Posts
Feathering our nest a bit are we Geoffers?

Sounds like a Vendor/Customer interface issue to me.

Factory Training is about the aircraft and its systems and is part of the Type Rating Training....not how you are going to use the aircraft....that is Operational Training and should be done by the Operator and its Training Department (including Contracted Training Services).

Add in the Contract Terms between the Operator and Customer.....thinking Offshore Oil Contracts....and that brings the Customer into the mix.

Finding the right solution to the Training side of things is a very complex and constantly changing bit of witchcraft.....as it is very complex and full of contradictory issues.

The Rub in what you preach is the cost of the Level D Simulator for each of the various Aircraft Types....and Models that are in use today, along with where to position the Sims and how to man the things with properly licensed training staff, obtaining all the various approvals and such. Which I am sure you are well familiar with.

I first got involved in that circus back in 1980 when American Airlines Training Corporation had the S-76 Contract at West Palm Beach. When returning from a Training Trip to Jordan, I was tasked to take a wander through Aberdeen, Redhill, and a few other places to look into the feasibility of locating a Sim in the UK.

Senior Staff in Texas did not much care for what I had to say about things....as they had a facility near Gatwick and were not about to consider Aberdeen and were not too keen to man it with Brits. The NIH Theorem at work!

Until we see even more consolidation amongst the World's Operators....which would afford better Economy in Scale....it will be a very tough nut to crack. Bristow is getting large....but still would find it very hard to enlarge its training facilities to incorporate Level D Sims for all of its "complex" types it will be operating.

How would you go about it if you had a Magic Wand to wave over it?