PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 7th Nov 2013, 22:43
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 422 Likes on 222 Posts
At least some do have the protection of SOPs, however, now working as I mostly do for non-AOC operators, recurrent training is mainly a thing of the past.

We are obliged to fly multi-crew because the pax require it. We do so, using challenge and response checklists. However, because the aircraft is certified for SPIFR, folks in my position are tested annually on a single pilot only basis, sometimes this is the only time I will have flown without a co-pilot for months. Obviously, I'm also expected to know the checks without reference to the checklists....

I use the autopilot to its full advantage on a routine basis, after all it's been paid for and can fly an ILS more accurately than I ever will. But when I carry out a check ride I have to fly most of the sortie without it! Until fairly recently we were not allowed to use the autopilot at all during checkrides.

Thankfully recent personnel changes at the CAA have resulted in a more sensible and practical approach being taken wrt use of the autopilot. So it seems there is light at the end of the tunnel.