PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Some good news/bad news from the EU! EASA FTL rejected
Old 7th Nov 2013, 19:13
Mr Angry from Purley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Fatigued, you mean tired perhaps or suffer some sleepyness"

So Mr Bangly me Surely, in your opinion if is just sleepIness than it is acceptable to operate an aircraft?

Oxford dictionary definition " extreme tiredness resulting from mental or physical exertion or illness"

So according to the definition fatigue is caused by someone being tired. Do 6 mornings in a row, starting 4 in the morning, and you see gradually as the days go by, that you just get more and more tired, example the week before it's a mix of early and late flights, do you believe our body magically can switch a button getting used to these different times?

It is a part of the job, but it also shows stupidity beyond what is normal, these guys / girls who do the planning should try it for a month themselves, and than see what they they think of it.
No its not my opinion Trucky its the view of sleep scientists. I was trying to highlight that Pilots always go for the F word rather than the S word.
Having a dig at the average scheduler on 16k-18k a year doesnt stack up either, they are guided by prescriptive rules. EASA FTL in the UK will be prescriptive rules morphed with FRMS so in my view (bearing in mind the title of the discussion) fatigue (sleepyness) levels will not increase. Thats my own view and a UK AOC pilots can only be perceived at this time. If we don't switch to EASA FTL I can't see another medium sized UK AOC ever again, something the bean counters (who i can assure you do care about their staff and put in more time than any pilot does) do care about.