PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Welcome at Flying Clubs
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2013, 11:54
cockney steve

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That is indeed true - but the mistake is confusing your local club on a farm strip or crumbling WWII airfield with that image in the first place.
Well said, sir! At 13 years old, I worked 8.30 am to midnight, 7 days a week YES! REALLY! during the school holidays.....pay, back then , £10 a week probably equivalent to around £10 a day nowadays....Oh, and I got 1/2 hour for lunch and 2/- (10P ) lunch money.

today, they want it all, want it now and think it's their right.
Basic economics make GA in this country expensive and smaller, undevelopeds airfields, a financial nightmare.

how the hell a few landing fees and a bit of hangar-rental can sustain even the capital cost and maintenance and rates on a hangar , makes me wonder why anyone bothers providing those facilities.

In the past, most social clubs made substantial bar and catering profits which propped up the finances....those days are gone! drink-drive legislation killed it.

Higher membership fees, to rebuild the finances, lead to charges of elitism.

I dunno what the answer is, WRT "volunteering"...it is simply bartering your unskilled labour for the instructor's time, expertise and aircraft.

You could always get a "pot -washer's" job at a local restaurant/fast food outlet and save your wage to pay for instruction like the majority of students.

wanting the penny and the toffee come to mind.