PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 7th Nov 2013, 08:56
Piltdown Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This accident is almost a carbon copy of TK / AMS . This time the crew survived so we might know what went inside their heads and why no-one saw the speed decay.
I don't agree. I'll accept that there were similarities in so much that there were three pilots on the flight decks and the ones 'riding shotgun' failed to monitor the airspeed. These were also training flights. And both were flying with inadequate airspeed. But there the similarities end. The TK crew were distracted by a Rad Alt fault but were unaware of the consequences of that fault (but Boeing must have been, but still did nothing about it). It appears that the F/O tried to correct the underspeed, but being unused to autothrottles, was unprepared for them closing again. I believe had the TK crew disengaged the autothrottle they would have landed safely. But not the Asiana crew. An ex-Airbus pilot would probably be unaware of the "Hold" mode. He would rarely use it if always using the highest level of automation and would probably expect the aircraft to look after him. Dial in the pathetic SOP of "always autoland" and you have a crew working well outside their training, experience and comfort levels but more importantly, a crew incapable of manual flight.