PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2013, 22:55
Chugalug2

Received 234 Likes on 72 Posts
dervish:-
Chug
Interesting that on the MAA website it defines "independent" as "external to the MoD."
I see that they are referring not to the MAA itself, but to their Safety Advisory Committee, which as has been pointed out already by Engines is headed by a retired Air Marshal! I seem to remember that the MAA used to trumpet itself as being independent once, perhaps pennies are beginning to drop even there?

Engines:-
'who watches the watchmen'?
The $64,000 question of course. I would merely point out that when they are Regulators and Investigators they may have have less compunction about enforcing Regulation and performing stringent Investigation when it is not directed at their employer.
It is that simple, and the mess that is UK Military Airworthiness and Air Accident Investigation can be traced back to that one factor. Perhaps Explosives and Nuclear Devices have their own ways of discouraging messing about with. As to ships, they seem to be much in the news recently and, as one who used to disgrace himself while on a Paddle Steamer ride around Bournemouth Bay, I am in no position to comment either on their seaworthiness or fitness for purpose. It may of course just be the difference between Air Marshals and Admirals...