PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter ops in Ireland (not Irish Helicopters Ltd)
Old 6th Nov 2013, 21:25
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a photo taken today at Weston Airport of EI-SAR, the Mitsubishi-built member of CHC's fleet.

This helicopter has been parked up there for the last few days. I don't know if it has been removed from service or what exactly the story is with this airframe. It seems likely though that the S-61N's days are numbered here in Ireland with the arrival of the S-92. I think Dublin is the last Irish Coastguard base that has yet to transition to the S-92, if in fact they haven't already done so.

The S-61N is arguably the last of the "classic" helicopter types that have graced Irish skies to retire, the BO-105 and Alouette III being the others to fly for periods in excess of thirty years.

The badge just behind the RESCUE titles is a design commemorating 50 years of service for this particular airframe. Here is a link to a facebook competition to design said badge.

https://www.facebook.com/Rescue117.O...93236994050159

In a slightly related story, Galway Airport is closing down. As far as I'm aware, this is the only site supplying Jet A1 fuel to the helicopter community in the Galway area. The SAR S-61N was a regular visitor to Galway Airport for fuel after having dropped off a casualty at Galway University Hospital. Perhaps the S-92 will be able to carry greater reserves of fuel and won't require a fuel source in Galway before returning to base. Perhaps Inverin Airport might start selling Jet A1 to cater for the (albeit small) demand for this fuel from the various Irish helicopter operators.

500 Fan.