PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2013, 21:23
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Quote from Lonewolf_50:
"I learned a long time ago that if you were entering turbulent air that has a lot of vertical component, that you need to work on holding pitch and power for the proper "turbulent air penetration" airspeed. You could expect both A/S and altitude to vary a bit as the air mass bounces you about.
'Don't chase it!' was some of the teaching then. Is that still current teaching?"

Afraid I'm the wrong person to ask about current teaching! But you raise a very valid point - in line with my own experience.

However, I think the only "chasing" by the EFCS/FBW visible in the DFDR traces is of the AoA when it is in AoA Law? I can only suggest that perhaps that is inevitable, bearing in mind the (presumably) narrow margin between Alpha-Prot and Alpha-MAX at cruise Mach - not to mention the stall. (That is: I'm out of my depth here, call an aerodynamicist!)

I doubt that, at normal cruise speeds and AoAs, Normal Law would be "chasing" the AoA, or even the Nz that it has been commanded to achieve by the sidestick position.