PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lake Evella crash findings
View Single Post
Old 24th Mar 2003, 02:29
slice

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

HEALY, I don't think you really realize what goes on up there. The vast majority of this sort of activity does not get reported, at least to anyone who can or will take any action. Because of the remote location(s), reports(generally as pilot gossip) of this kind of activity are usually 7th hand, and unverifiable and I have seen on many occasions it in no way impeeds the particular pilots' progress to the next step at all. Employers cannnot determine the veracity of the 'rumours' they hear and will employ based largely on their own personal impression of the pilot.

Even when 'busted' you can still go to the next stage. Let me give you a well known example from a couple of years back. Pilot x flies metro for well known regional airline in northern Australia. Pilot x gets job with e. coast regional airline. Pilot x, on one of their last RPT flights for current airline, decides to formate with company C402 (both ac full of pax) for a laugh. ha ha ha! Company of course finds out and grounds Pilot x for their last week of employment. BIG DEAL. Pilot x goes on to their job at e. coast regional who either don't know and/or don't care. I give you this example because it is one that was common knowlege, and as Pilot x was an RPT captain, do really think he/she had never done this sort of thing before? Let's face it, there are countless numbers of pilots in all airlines that would like to keep their extra-proffessional activities from earlier days quiet.

So HEALY I think it is fanciful thinking to believe that this activity impeeds a pilots' progress. Why do you think it is that the only time the public hear about this is when there is a death or serious injury?