PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 6th Nov 2013, 14:38
Engines

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Splash,

I might be able to help here a little. I'd argue that the MAA really is all about Air Safety. Its website gives these definitions:

MISSION

Enhance the delivery of operational capability through continual improvement in military Air Safety, appropriate culture, regulation and practice.

VISION

A world class military Air Safety regulatory and assurance model that is proactive, innovative, modern, efficient and effective.

Now that looks to me like a fairly clear 'Air Safety' focus. Regulation and the rest is how it delivers the Air Safety.

Inter-service bickering - not sure how that affected the events that led to Haddon-Cave and the MAA. However, there were certainly big politics played by the RAF in the aftermath.

We now have an allegedly independent regulator whose head, according to its own internal rules, has to be a three star with aviation command experience - neat. That would be an RAF officer then then. Has been ACAS twice in a row now. And this for an organisation that was brought about by an inquiry into the failings of the MoD' airworthiness management systems that were devised and led by senior RAF officers. Go figure.

My preference (not that it matters in the least) would be for the MAA to be aligned with the rest of the Defence Safety boards (nuclear, explosive, ship, etc) and headed by a two star civilian brought in from outside the MoD to encourage fresh thinking and transference across all areas of Defence safety management. Honestly, I'm not sure that 'Air Safety' is any more demanding than nuclear safety, or any of the other safety management areas.

Oh, and I'd take the accident investigators out of MAA, relocate them into the AAIB, and require all three Commands to provide properly trained and accredited investigators to that organisation. Not expensive and can provide a very effective organisation. (The FAA did it for many years).

Not that any of that is going to happen any time soon, but always nice to see an open, polite and interesting debate taking place.

Best Regards as ever to all those actually contributing to safer military aviation,

Engines