PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Should he list Attention Deficit Disorder on his first class medical?
Old 6th Nov 2013, 02:03
TheGuyNamedCris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should he list Attention Deficit Disorder on his first class medical?

I am asking this for somebody else, as I advised them to post confidentially with topics like this. Here is what his message reads...

This is in the United States by the way...

"I am a 17 year old aspiring to be a commercial pilot in the future. I just recently discovered that I may not be able to persue my passion - but I need help on what I should do.

When I was in fifth grade my parents wanted to see what my strengths and weaknesses were academically so I could develop personal methods for performing best in school. My fifth grade teacher refereed a local neuropsychiatrist and I ended up taking a series of tests over the course of a view days. In the end, my parents were briefed on the results.

I had scored average with all sections (even in the 95th percentile on problem solving) except scoring in less than the 1st percentile on the last test. It is reasonable to assume that I just simply opted out when I was taking the test, and did not give any further effort given I was a fifth grader with "better things to do".

No apparently, I was diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder (Inattentive Type) due to this single test. I am not sure if it is an official diagnosis, but this document has been used to get me accommodation's on school tests and possibly the SAT.

Here is where the story gets weird. A friend of mine told me he was denied his medical due to taking vyvanse for his ADHD. I questioned whether I had a mental problem too, given I was on certain accommodations. But I ask my parents if I have ever been diagnosed with one of these illnesses and they tell me absolutely not (mother is a medical proffesional too).

I even end up confidentially asking my doctor if it is on file and he tells me it is not. So my question comes now... Is it an official diagnosis?

I want to make the best choices, but I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have never taken medication, plus the report is not in my official medical records - so does that mean I shouldn't list it on my FAA medical application. Some people tell me that is a terrible idea, because if the FAA later finds out this was "diagnosed" they might send me to prison.

But I am hesitant to list it on the medical because I hear that I will likely get denied having been diagnosed with ADD."

Thank you.