PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 21:54
FullTanks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some facts

I am saddened by some of the discouraging comments currently being posted on this thread. The BA FPP scheme is, in my view, far and away the best flying career orientated, sponsored course available. If you wish to earn a living as a commercial pilot it stands way above the competition, such as it is.
I have been privileged to speak informally with a number of cadets on the first BA course. Surprisingly many are mature, successful professionals, who have been prepared to relinquish senior positions in a variety of fields and convince the BA recruiters of their undoubted enthusism for aviation, but (and it is a big but) they were not previously prepared to follow the self selected route through a training school, only perhaps to find that a fATPL does not necessarily confer employability, even at a time when airlines in the UK may be recruiting from the schools. With self funding there is also an element of self selection.
These cadets applied in the full knowledge that they will never, because of their ages, reach the top of the current BA pay scale, that their starting salary will in some cases be one seventh of what they earned last year, that they will be absent from their families for many weeks during the course and, although they did not know at the time of application, will almost certainly be missing Christmas at home this year. They did it because they want to fly aeroplanes for a living and because they want to fly for BA, in the full knowledge of the sacrifices of time, lifestyle and income they will inevitably experience - and that is what BA saw in them, as well as the many skills they could bring to the airline and to the particular role of captain, for make no mistake, it is potential captains they are selecting.
If the recent detractor of BA on this thread is a bonafide employee I feel very sorry for him/her, as they have obviously made a disastrous career choice. I count myself lucky, in my retired state, not to have to fly with such a disaffected individual.
For those who can ignore the negative posts, if you wish to be a commercial pilot and you can satisfy the application criteria, this is the chance you've been waiting for. If you can demonstrate the skills to successfully complete the course you must then convince BA of your commitment and dedication. On the first course, 95 or so successful candidates from a field of approximately 6500 can feel jusifiably pleased and proud that they achieved this. If you would like to join them you must do the same - I wish you good luck. If you are successful you will be envied by those in other airlines elsewhere - believe me.

Last edited by FullTanks; 6th Nov 2013 at 06:17. Reason: Syntax