PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Just Culture
Thread: Just Culture
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 20:40
Running_In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orgasmic, I agree that a lack of moral courage within the RAF is the problem, although I would blame the Wg Cdr and above level. They are the ones that set the tone for the Sqn and the operators are usually at their mercy.

I was witness to someone committing a few acts of willful gross negligence in the air when I was on a Sqn based at Brize. I told my Flt Cdr and together we told the Boss as a courtesy before reporting it to the RAF Police (as some of the incidents went a bit further than flying discipline) and Stn Flt Safety. The Boss' reaction was a bit out there frankly - he was unashamed in being explicit that his priority was protecting the reputation of the Sqn. I was ordered not to take it any further, but I decided to report it to the Police anyway. It came to head with the Boss phoning me at 8.30pm to tell me he would make sure my next job was in M&S if I didn't with draw my report! He also pulled a reason out of his backside to ground me from flying myself that same evening.

The reaction I'd witnessed scared me and as you said, it demonstrated that on that Sqn at that particular time there was a complete lack of moral fibre and willingness to put the effort into self analysis.