PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 11
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 18:37
DozyWannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris Scott
RetiredF4 and DonH have identified the likely reason for the lack of sidestick action by either pilot. To be a bit more more specific, one or both pilots were probably trying to re-engage one of the two APs, possibly trying them both alternately. Many of us have seen this kind of behaviour: priority given to re-engaging the automatics, rather than flying the aeroplane.
I'd say they identified a *possible* reason, and acknowledged this at the time. To say it's a "likely" reason is objectively inaccurate - as we have no corroborating evidence to support the assertion, and subjectively unfair - as it assumes a degree of automation dependency on the part of the crew on the basis of anecdotal reporting (i.e. "Many of us have seen this kind of behaviour").

I'm sure the anecdotal reporting is correct, but at the same time I think it's wrong-headed to try and squeeze this particular incident into a "...Magenta"-shaped mould without any real evidence to back it up. Finding repeatable patterns in a series of mishaps can be something of a double-edged sword, because while spotting and working to eliminate that behaviour will help, it won't help in the case of those incidents where, while outwardly similar in nature, that pattern wasn't involved - and can mask other problems that can be equally as dangerous.