PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 13:05
Cool Guys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont want to counter any of the wise words spoken by the very knowledgeable and experienced people posting above but I have another angle from which this issue can be viewed. I have not piloted a fly by wire jet but I have spent many years automating heavy and complex industrial equipment that can also kill people when it fails to work properly.

In my opinion, with good automation many of these problems should not occur. Good automation does not have traps, it is simple, the auto pilot mimics manual control pretty closely. Good automation actually assists the operator/pilot to operate manually rather than hinder it. People tend to over complicate automation. An old fossil I used to work with used to say it is very easy to make automation complicated & difficult to use and very hard to make it simple & easy to use. In my experience any piece of automation can be made simple and user friendly, it just takes experienced people more time to produce and lots of consultation with the end user/pilot. Experienced people tend to make thing simpler.

Another point I have come to realise with automation is it is very easy to get away with producing messy SW. With the more mechanical professions things have to look nice, other wise it will be noticed by everybody. Electrical professions can be a bit rougher, if cabling is not supported evenly no one except for other electrical people or people with access to electrical enclosures notices. SW onthe other hand is hidden away on flash memory and if you have a few unnecessary loops or illogical implementations no one notices apart from other SW engineers.