PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life Cover for Pilots
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 11:18
aerohopper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Life assurance underwriting..

I thought I'd chuck in my pennies worth on this - esp as I'm involved in placement of life cover risks on a day to day basis. > and that's right across the spectrum from hang glider pilots to Boeing pilots.

It would be inappropriate to advertise my company here but the firm has been cited in a couple of postings above. I have flown many types myself since 1990 so have a good grounding...esp with the recreational side.

In relation to life assurance for Group A Pilots : Low hour PPL's or students should be able to secure standard rates ( i.e no premium loadings) for flying recreationally up to 75 hours p.a. The same applies to ab initio CPL's on integrated or modular flying courses where they are almost certain to fly >75hours in a 12 month period.

Instructors can usually get standard terms.

For more experienced PPL's ( 200hs+) standard terms are available via the right insurer to 100 hours or even 150 hours + p.a. Its a question of ensuring your broker or the insurer you are dealing with knows their stuff in relation to the underwriting philosophy for the type you fly and hours you're airborne. From experience many don't.

Of course there are exceptions like those who fly more than one type - i.e Group A + microlights , do aeros or fly extensively in far flung destinations...but even in those scenarios there can be big differences in the loadings applied ( if any).

I hope this clarifies things a bit