PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AS332L2 Ditching off Shetland: 23rd August 2013
Old 5th Nov 2013, 11:16
GR3a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried to deal with insurance sharks ?
All they have to do is prove that you were wearing the wrong colour of socks and they will instantly drop you like a hot rock.

Thank you SASless for those chilling words of wisdom/reality.
OK look I know with 105 pages and counting this thread, (as most accident threads always end up it seems) is an excuse to get into one giant argument until the AAIB makes a final report some years later, from which we all "learn" valuable lessons. Never-the-less....

Can someone give a selection of examples where these "insurance sharks" have dropped any commercial helicopter pilots 3rd party liability claim and the pilot has then had to sell his wife to pay. Whilst it makes a nice story where is this happening??

Had this chap been flying in a manner that was evident in the recent Puma ZA934 crash perhaps you'd call a lawyer but otherwise I'm struggling to see how your employer piles the blame on you. Happy for someone to explain it.

Edited to add this from SAS

One of many examples of what I warn.

Remember the Helicopter Pilot whose Estate was sued for 50,000 UKP by the Widow of a Passenger killed along with the Pilot in a Helicopter crash in the UK?

It happens folks.
Was it successful? did the insurance abandon all? and on what basis where they employed?

I'd suggest when flying for someone like Bond/Bristow or CHC it becomes slightly different?