PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 11:09
potteroomore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am geriatric couch potato now and I marvel at exploits of bubbers at TGU. I may or may nothave flown so well...I just don't remember as I started at 16 and after 48 years of pedalling airborne contraptions I called it a day after 5 years on the T7. No I had not heard of the FLCH trap but I always override the ATS as if I am flying manual thrust levers. My f/os at times looked alarmed as they heard the autothrottle servos fighting my manual input ( rarely ), or as I increase thrust anticipating ALT capture or SPD mode activation when in HOLD mode.

To cut it short, I always follow through the thrust levers and override them as I so judge. Of course the company maintenance guy with anal retention on the jumpseat may not to be to happy hearing the ATS servos grinding as I override the automatic retarding of the thrust levers.

I have no wish to recount my manual flying exploits....not many instances as I always preempted any untoward incidences, so I never allowed any chances for any heroism to develop...like a vague memory of rejecting a takeoff at 50 kts when I noticed in the corner of my eye a fuel truck blundering near an active runway. It did careen onto the runway after I vacated through a faraway perpendicular taxiway according to my f/o. Had I waited until it had ventured onto the runway, and rejected I would probably be at above 110 kts requiring superior skills who I might not have had.

Looking back, maybe I was stupid never getting a 3 minutes of fame. In good old Oz, I used to fly lazily on the venerable 727 down the DME steps and tight circled for the runway. No Foqa, no drama just pure joyful flying with the many " after thumping " checks. On the 777, I could probably do that ( but not very well I guess due to " lack of handling " ) but I am sure my f/o would be very overloaded trying to manipulate the MCP settings as per SOPs.

I do not envy modern airline pilots who have all sort of restrictions working against them especially the freedom to choose the level of automation they desire. I certainly see and appreciate Tipsy's and Molokai's contention. A geriatric should look to the future too! Past glories ( real or imagined ) notwithstanding.: Nap time!