PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Boeings turn to take Emirates money
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 07:38
SubsonicMortal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just throwing in my two cents for the sake of the argument...

At the end of the day, I could not care less what type I fly so long as I'm as comfortable as I can possibly be in my work environment. The more comfortable, the more I enjoy my job and the more "productive" I am. Since I'm a pilot, my work environment happens to be at the pointy end of a jet.

In my opinion, the things that make a pilot's work environment more comfortable are, but not limited to:

1. Low levels of noise in the FD (I think everyone would agree that more noise equals faster onset of fatigue). It's possible to have a conversation at a normal tone of voice in the 380 FD. The cabin is even quieter than the FD. I certainly feel less tired after a long flight in the 380 than I ever did in the 320/330/340.
2. Room to sit anyway I like and not have to contort my body in order to cross my legs if I feel like sitting so at 42000 feet.
3. A simple, effective fly by wire control device i.e a side-stick instead of a giant lever action control column to move those large control surfaces. I still don't understand what the point of the conventional control column is on the 787 given the fact that it has an impressive FBW control system.
4. a tray table so I can sit and have a meal comfortably.

These are 4 minor points but to me they make time in the cockpit comfortable and relaxed. If I wan't to feel like I'm "flying" something I'll go hire a Pitts Special and tear some loops through the sky.