PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall warnings in high capacity aircraft
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 06:24
westhawk

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Go-arounds are normal maneuvers. Every pilot should consider that one may become necessary until it's no longer a viable option. It's certainly not reserved only for "emergency" use. In my experience, typical events prompting a go-around include preceding traffic unable to clear the runway in time for your arrival to meet ATC runway separation standards or just recognizing that insufficient in-trail spacing exists to reasonably expect sufficient runway spacing to exist. It happens every day at airports the world over, especially busy ones. Better to go around from 500' than in the flare. Pilots need to be proficient and comfortable with the maneuver and associated procedural actions. Thinking that a go-around is an admission of failure or is always the result of a lack of skill or judgment is a dangerous and counterproductive attitude that should be strongly discouraged.

Most pilots have done some approaches and landings that upon objective reflection, weren't their finest. Maybe even right there on the cusp of "should have been abandoned", but were salvaged anyway. Gusty crosswinds or NPAs to mins are both likely circumstances acting to set up a greater likelihood of a go-around becoming the better part of valor. Sometimes the approach just isn't going to terminate with a full stop landing and being unwilling to admit that is at the head of the causal chain in a great many runway overruns and excursions.

Funny story from my charter days:

I had this fat cat business mogul on board our Hawker one time going into Bozeman, Montana on a charter flight. Nice enough guy, but you could tell he was one of those tense types used having things his own way. We contact the tower on a 5 mile final and he clears us to land behind a C-170 on a short final. By the time we spot him, he's on the runway and we're 3 miles out. Cool, he should make the next turnoff we think. He doesn't. 2 miles out. Well, the next one then? Us to tower: If that Cessna makes the next turnoff, we won't have to go around. Cessna now taxiing down the runway at near walking speed, passing the next turnoff. Now we're at about a mile, I look at the other guy and shrug my shoulders as I add thrust and pitch the nose up. My pard tells the tower and we fly the pattern and land normally. Getting off the airplane the biz guy asks: Hey what was all that about? Do I have to pay for that? Me: No sir, it's included, no charge. Big smile. The chief pilot and I both had a good laugh when I shared the story!