PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MAS Twin Otter lands short?
View Single Post
Old 5th Nov 2013, 02:35
Escape Path

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ideal landing with DHC 6 in cross wind is flaps 10/speed 85. Or even flaps 0/speed 100/condition levers max after touchdown if runway lenght permitting.
Best technique to maitain axis: keep the nosewheel up by pulling progressively the control column vs decreasing of speed as far as possible (it will drop by itself at around 50 -40 kts)
Well I wouldn't know if I'd use zero flaps and 100kts on a 730m runway. Even more so if using flaps 20 helps me reducing my airspeed by 20kts (for stopping purposes). And I would definitely would have props on max from around 500ft AGL rather than after touchdown (considering this scenario) since first of all, I'd want to use reverse as soon as possible (which you can't do if you have props on max), not for stopping quickly but to cement the airplane on the runway: less airspeed would mean the wind would affect the aircraft less. Second, I'd like to keep as many options to control the airplane as possible, one of those being the use of beta (just past the stop, or a "prop blade disc" as they call it on the Dash 8) just before touchdown, and third, it gives me a quicker response, power wise, as I wouldn't have to fiddle (i.e. making larger adjustments) with the power levers as much as I would if I had the prop levers on minimum govern position.

I also wouldn't like to play with the airplane in zero flap config in speeds nowhere near those you mention (40-50) with around 12000lbs GW (according to my numbers), let alone in gusting conditions, since max weight stall speed (clean config) is 74kts. Just my 2c worth though

BTW, we have prop levers, not condition levers, on the Otter since we also have fuel levers