PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Stall warnings in high capacity aircraft
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 23:56
Natstrackalpha

Location: Not far from the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy in the Orion Arm.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know, they want more Go-Arounds in training, more Go-Arounds in PPL/basic training, more Go-Arounds in Line training - in the sim,
more Go-Arounds in Base training,

Make Go-Arounds as nice an event as landing - why? Because sometimes it is the only option - and yet, in training, people who have lived with Go-Arounds for ages tend to think they are silly - yet to a trainee pilot they are interesting and absorbing and to do a good one takes skill and good CRM - As one is going to land for most of their flying lives - FIRST TIME, then Go-Around City once in awhile is not a bad plan.

Then, when it happens for real in an environment of traffic as thick as minestrone it will prove prove quintessentially apt. (pun for the level off)

Once - a million years ago, a fellow trainee instructor got awful mad at me as I went for my second go-around thinking my landing was not. . . the one to be . . he went ballistic and insisted I land, which, like a I did - quite successfully - on the walk back to the big C he explained that if it weren`t for the fact that we were on a course he would have punched me on the nose.

In retrospect - I regret not having done the same to him as a pre-emptive strike - course or no course. If you want to go around then go around. Thats what it is for.

The fact the above landing was successful - was a fluke.

Last edited by Natstrackalpha; 5th Nov 2013 at 00:10.