PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Airways Future Pilot Programme.
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 19:17
MaydayMaydayMayday

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SinBin, I'd be very surprised if they do actually work at the same BA as you. (Strike me as a thinly veiled troll)

Let's play devil's advocate and say that they do:

Any idea how many unemployed lawyers there are out there at the moment? It's an absolute ton. Not to mention disgruntled, overworked doctors who constantly complain about bureaucracy, lack of sleep and declining T&Cs. Half of the folk I went to medschool with are in precisely that position, with many heading down under after not being able to pick up anything higher than locum work in the UK. Their earnings are not higher than the current BA pay scales year by year. Quite a fair few doctors applied for the FPP last year (at least one successfully) and know of another couple applying this time. They're all aware of what's on offer.

The sector I'm in the process of leaving (another professional role) has seen terms and conditions obliterated since the financial downturn. Two of our academically brilliant staff have had to leave the country (US and Canadian citizens) as there were simply no doctoral level jobs available in the UK. Another PhD left to join the Police purely for the permanent contract and pension.

Nobody's going to become a millionaire off the back of flying for BA, but I'm really finding it difficult to see how the earnings could be described as "low". Compared to most other professions that's simply inaccurate. You're not going to rival top executives, but compared to the vast majority of doctors, dentists and lawyers it's at least on a par. Trust me on that, around 80 of my high school year studied one of the above and went on to work in their respective professions. Thankfully they finished their degrees when the jobs market was far far stronger than it is at the moment, and with far better T&Cs than are on offer today. They still don't have a better range of salaries or lifestyle options that BA offer.

It's not exactly easy to compare apples with pears, especially when you're not clued up on at least one or the other. In this case the apples are certainly comparable to the pears, and a whole lot better than the fruit most other people have in their baskets.