PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NTSB update on Asiana 214
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 14:52
topgas

Received 26 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the greatest of respect for all the emergency services. When something like the unfortunate running over of a potential survivor happens, it is simplistic to blame it on the driver. I hesitate to talk about Human Factors on a professional pilots forum, but they come into play here
- she was away from the station when the shout came in
- finding the station empty, she took the reserve machine to the scene (presumably with ATC permission)
- she arrived at the incident with little or no situational awareness and presumably without direction from the incident controller
- the incident scene itself sounds like it was still in the initial response stage and had not developed into an organised site (command post, triage area, etc)

All these points have the potential for human factors failings (system failure), like did she have a radio while she was away, was she requested to bring the reserve machine, was there a reporting point at the scene, and I'm sure they will have all been addressed internally. I feel for the driver, she used her initiative in a rapidly evolving scenario, and had it panned out differently, her bringing another machine may well have saved lives.

I've been involved in Major Incidents, and even the best Major Incident plans can't cover every possibility