PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Well done to UK senior officers!
View Single Post
Old 23rd Mar 2003, 21:03
Jackonicko

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure anyone would feel the urge to whoop with exhileration, FV. But in this PC day and age, as KBF suggests, it looks very tasteless and insensitive to be whooping like 'deranged sports fans' (good description, KBF1) at what was the death of fellow human beings who did indeed deserve to be treated with some degree of respect and dignity even in death. They were not paper targets, after all.

As well as being wrong to glory in death, it's unhelpful, in that it helps drive a further wedge between the military and the civilian society it serves. This is dangerous and unnecessary.

And to point out this one failing is not necessarily Yank-bashing, any more than it is to draw a comparison between the often bright and articulate UK troops being interviewed and their US counterparts. It's just observation and opinion.

I happen to believe that we are lucky enough to have the very best armed forces in the world. It's not very British to say so, I know, but still....

They are not the best equipped, but do seem to have the best raw material and seem to be the best trained, so any comparison will always make the subject of a comparison with the Brits look second best.

Our US allies have many strengths, and I'm sure few British servicemen would not far sooner have them on our side. I'm sure they have criticisms of us, too. Elucidating these may be unhelpful, but it's not so very serious, surely.

Perhaps KBF 1 is right, perhaps our two nations do operate according to a different set of values. Certainly many Brits find the American's full on "God Bless America" hand-on-breast patriotism unfamiliar and disconcerting - even embarrassing. And they do tend to get rather excited and they do holler and whoop more than we do. But at the end of the day who's to say who's right and wrong?