PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thru-baggage tagging at check in
View Single Post
Old 4th Nov 2013, 11:09
chuboy

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TightSlot
Here, for what it is worth, is what I know, and have been telling people for ages.
Thanks and appreciate your input. I have seen evidence that an interlining agreement that exists between the two carriers, of sorts. There are plenty of reasons why it may not work I am sure.

The customs issue is a big one, although an email from Dublin authorities suggested that bags can be checked through to either of the domestic airports serviced (Kerry or Donegal) and that is where they end up with no need to collect in between. Perhaps they are searched separately? Theoretically, shouldn't someone connecting to an EI Regional flight from DUB-KIR after arriving on EI from the USA not have to collect their bags before passing through customs? Should that not also apply to any through-checked bag? In any case, as long as I know whether to collect the bags first in Dublin before I arrive in Donegal I am satisfied.

The other possible issue is that while an interline agreement exists between BE and the other airline, the flight to Donegal is operated by Loganair with a BE flight number. I don't know the IATA rules well enough to know if this has additional implications for through-checking even an interline agreement is in place.

I am of course able to collect my bags in Dublin if I have to. If it's not possible I can accept that. I was just interested to know whether it is possible and if so how I could make it happen. I have an inkling that the airline in Brisbane use contracted check-in agents who might not know about every interlining agreement in place with their clients, so I had hoped there might be some magic buzzwords I could utter to come to an understanding

I will give it a go anyway when I travel in a few weeks and report back.

By the way, is there any advice as to the question of whether online check-in prior to arriving at the airport has any bearing on the ability for the check-in agent to through-check bags?